Thursday, May 26, 2011

Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country

I'm a huge sci-fi fan, i.e; Star Trek, Dr. Who, Firefly, Stargate, etc and some my favorite episodes are always the ones about alternate universes. Where the plot is, if one thing changed in history everything was the same but totally different. That is how I feel about Australia. It's so much like home but different on every level. Example #1, the UTE. I still can't see one of these road beast and not say El Ca-mi-no to myself.

Rolling on Doves.

Next is the slang. Australian's have slang for everything. Everything.
  • Chewie ~ Gum
  • Footie ~ Australian Football
  • Billy ~ Teapot
  • Truckie ~ Truck Driver
  • Lollies ~ Candy
  • Mozzie ~ Mosquito
  • Sunnies ~ Sunglasses
  • Dunny ~ Toilet
  • Chrissie ~ Christmas
And then there's the people. I compare Oz to the America of the mid-1800's. It has a whole continent of natural resources and not enough people; 19 million to America's 307. And a good percentage of the population are immigrants, here for work and a better life. Even the backpackers I meet are here because of the money and the chance to see the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment