Saturday, May 14, 2011

The Perfect Meal (Ban Lung, Cambodia)

A lot people laugh when I respond Cambodia, as my favorite country. Between the rampant corruption, prostitution and extreme poverty it has a lot things going against it. It doesn't help that 25% of it's population was either killed or starved to death under Pol Pot and the Khmer Rouge. From 1975 to 1979 ole Pol Pot dabbled in GENOCIDE. If want to learn more read First They Killed My Father by Loung Ung.

With all that said, Cambodians are the most amazing people you will ever meet. Happy, kind, gentle souls that will welcome you into there homes with an open heart. What follows in picture form is one great day and the best meal I've ever had.

Jessica and I hired two guys to take us into the middle of the jungle.


After sweating out every toxin I've ever ingested in the first 10 minute, we arrived somewhere a day into the jungle.


Our guides set out to cook. They filled a bamboo stem with fresh picked veggies, spices, and water and steamed it over a fire.


While we were waiting on the food, I swam in the local stream and swung off a vine, Tarzan style.


While I was swimming he was making a basket out of bamboo.


The Perfect Meal.


The sign in the tree next to where we had lunch. "Don't touch the mines or bring the mine." A sign about landmines or a rap song?

Stopped by the guide's house on the way back. He lives in an open air hut with his wife and son in the middle of a rice patty.


The baby stroller he made his son.

No comments:

Post a Comment