Wednesday, April 27, 2011

It's not a clown car lady...

The other day a woman came into the store and asked me what part of Canada I was from because that’s what happens when people pick up on my accent. I don’t know if it’s because my southern accent is so off kilter compared to mainstream Hollywood or it’s because not enough Americans travel. When I repieled I was from Arkansas, USA all she said was, “Do you know the Duggers?”

My first reaction was to be very annoyed. For those who don’t know, the Duggers are a highly religious families that have their own reality TV show and they fall on this side of crazy. At first I hated the show but like most things people hate, I didn’t understand it. They are very unorthodox right wing god fearing folks and I would never follow most of their values but I understand them.

You have to let people do what they want as long as it’s not hurting anyone else. Life is short. Don’t waste your time worrying about others.

After thinking about why I was annoyed, I realized it was because of stereotypes. When I tell people I’m from America, all they can say is; guns, bibles, fast food and Hollywood. Yes, I grew up on all those things but that don’t define me. Yes I own a gun, yes I was raised in the church, yes I take comfort in a Egg McMuffin and most importantly; yes I’ve seen a majority of popular movies in the past 50 years, but that doesn’t describe who I am.

Hi, I’m Jeremy. I believe in a universal god but since I was raised in a small town America I’m not suppose to be able to compare my god to yours. Ok, you were raised in the middle of Africa and think the sun eats the moon, I understand that. We all want to rely on a higher being but because of my own background I’m suppose to understand the world better than you.

Nope.

Life is as simple as tribesmen hunting a wild animal in bush. We’re just trying to make it out alive.

No comments:

Post a Comment